Wednesday, July 31, 2013

Sucre á La Créme

My father's birthday was just a couple of days ago, and today all four of us were finally all here at once to celebrate it! Supper was homemade mac and cheese, some of the first, delicious, corn of the season, and an extremely tasty cake from my favourite bakery. And for gifts? For his gift I made him one of his favourite candies: sucre á la créme.

For anyone who lives outside of Quebec, sucre á la créme is basically like a slightly harder, crumblier version of fudge, except unlike fudge which can be a ton of different flavours, sucre á la créme is always pretty simple (or at least, I’ve only ever had it with nothing but vanilla added, or with maple used instead of white or brown sugar).

It's quite tasty. But as someone who pretty much never makes candy, I was terrified it wouldn't turn out, or that I'd spill hot sugar on myself. Luckily, neither of those fears came to pass! It turned out as well as I could have hoped, and a good deal better than I expected it to. This recipe helped. 



But most importantly, my father loves it!! Now that is what I call a success.

No comments:

Post a Comment