Thursday, November 1, 2012

Kimchi Adventures: Success!

I posted a few weeks ago about the beginnings of my first batch of kimchi. I was worried about whether it would turn out badly, if I'd know if it went bad, if I'd been careful enough about cleanliness when preparing it, etc. But after checking my little bottle of fermenting cabbage, hot peppers, radishes and spices regularly the first few days, then sporadically the next week or so, I stopped worrying. Because I knew just by it's smell and taste it was fine, and just put it in the fridge when I decided it tasted as fermented as I wanted it to be! If you've never had any experience with fermented cabbage, I can understand maybe being being unsure. But if you've ever had sauerkraut or kimchi, so have something to compare it to, it's pretty easy. 13 days after I put it out to ferment, I put my first ever batch of fermented food in the fridge. Yay!

First jar ever of home fermented food!
Kimchiii!
Because I've been bad at keeping up with blogging here, it's been three weeks since this first batch was put in the fridge, and it's only now nearly finished since I wasn't really sure what to do with it. I've found I really enjoy it in a salad, and I know it would also be tasty as a condiment on a burger or sausage or something. Still looking for more ideas though, so if anyone has any, please do let me know! :)

No comments:

Post a Comment