Sunday, November 18, 2012

Salad Ideas: Cucumber, Apple, and Walnut Salad in Sweet Dijon Vinaigrette

I keep not posting because so often I don't have pictures of the food I make (since my beautiful and much loved digital SLR died last year, I haven't had a camera that I actually enjoy using), and it only feels like a proper food post if I include photos. However, I'm going to try not to let that stop me from posting, though I do also hope to start using my father's very nice camera in the immediate future, and get a new camera for myself this coming year. But for now, I wanted to share a tasty salad I made tonight, without pictures!

Salad

  • 1 large cucumber, sliced in fairly thin rounds
  • 1-2 stalks celery, sliced thinly
  • 1 apple, cored, halved, and sliced thinly
  • A handful of walnuts
Dressing

I don't have amount for this one I'm afraid, but I can still give the ingredients!
  • Grapeseed oil or other mild tasting oil
  • Red wine vinegar
  • Seedy dijon mustard
  • Ginger honey (alternately ginger syrup, or honey and some freshly grated or powdered ginger)
  • Salt
Mix dressing, toss with salad, and enjoy! This was a success with all salad eating family members, and my dad who usually isn't as into salads actually came back for thirds, never mind seconds.

I feel like lots of people have the idea that salad is boring, and approach it with a grudging attitude of getting through this annoying healthy thing as soon as possible. But with a little bit of creativity, there are SO many really tasty things you can do with salads. Salads are cool.

No comments:

Post a Comment